Splunk Cloud Review

Add oversight to your business with complete log reporting although it may strain your budget

What is our primary use case?

Splunk is an event log manager. We have reservation and event logging dashboards integrated from the data dock to Splunk and we have all the specific dashboards that we work with in Splunk for log management.

How has it helped my organization?

We became pretty complete with our reporting using Splunk for all the log and event capabilities. I would rate this product as somewhere around seven or eight-out-of-ten for the logging capabilities and how that has added to the oversight of our business.

What is most valuable?

The log event capabilities and the flexibility in the search engine for finding what we need in the logs are some of the more valuable features in this product.

What needs improvement?

The pricing models should be improved and optimized. Right now, the pricing is a bit too expensive.

One other thing you need is more ability to customize the dashboard to the way you want to have it. If you had a template that you could create and label inside of Splunk that would be good.

One good thing that could be added to the AWS side of the solution is that you should have an OPS (Operation Alert) alert built into the dashboard that comes with Splunk. That would be very useful. For example, if you have a pre-defined template creator to fill in the information to forms that are loaded. That would be really beneficial.

I have been using Splunk Cloud for more than four years now, in total.

We have not experienced or even heard much about bugs or other problems people are having with Splunk. It seems pretty stable.

Scalability is good, but the cost factor in scaling is really high. That is the reason why we are interested in working with products and solutions that will help us optimize our costs and may be looking into other solutions.

We probably have something around a hundred users who work with Splunk. Mainly they are architects, enterprise architects, and data-link architects. We also have business analyst systems. We have not had a problem in changing or growing these roles.

I have not had direct experience with the Splunk technical support because I leave it to the other teams in our organization because I am not really in a position to use Splunk support.

I have only been working with Splunk for these past three years. I am not too much of an expert. I left my role as an officer in an organization in 2014, so from 2014 to 2017 I was not in touch with the advancements of products in the industry. But I was using other solutions prior to Splunk.

The setup and installation of the product are straightforward.

The pricing model makes this an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

Advice-wise, I do not really have much to say to potential users considering the solution as something to apply as an end-user. My job role is data organization so it might not be appropriate for me to give these opinions. This seems to me to have more to do with system functionality. But from my side, I am good with the product.

Interface-wise, I think the product is good.

Security-wise, it is all approved from the CSOs (Chief Security Officer) perspective.

Enhancement-wise, we have to put in a lot of effort. The end-users who are working with the solution should know SQL. If they lack training in SQL, there will not really be a use case for them.

Whatever the use cases we had for Splunk, we were able to make it work.

Cost optimization is the only thing that needs to be reconsidered.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product overall around seven, or somewhere between six to eight. Six to eight so make that around seven-out-of-ten.

Private Cloud
More Splunk Cloud reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM QRadar
Find out what your peers are saying about Splunk, Fortinet, Amazon and others in Log Management. Updated: February 2021.
465,623 professionals have used our research since 2012.