Splunk Review

Great flexibility, pretty stable, and has great technical support

What is our primary use case?

It's the primary place where I'd go to do an investigation if I want to see what's going on within an endpoint, or on a network, or with a user.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility of the solution is quite good.

The product is stable.

It offers good scalability if you are willing to pay.

The technical support on offer is responsive.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a high learning curve for users. It's a little complicated when you're trying to figure out all the features and what they do.

The solution needs a bit more functionality. For example, being able to save a search and select it when you're doing an investigation. I know you can create dashboards and things like that, however, sometimes being able to have a pre-saved search and just fill in whatever value you need would make everything so much easier.

I've been using Splunk for four years so far. It's been a while.

I haven't had any stability issues with it. It's pretty stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or feeze.

You can scale the solution, however, users need to be aware of the product increasing in cost as well.

The technical support is very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

When I came to the company, they were already using Splunk. It's only now that we're looking to possibly move to another vendor. The cost of Splunk is much too high.

I wasn't here when this solution was put into place, however, from looking at the documentation and things like that, the setup is pretty involved. I'd say it's a bit more complex than straightforward.

We find the solution to be quite expensive. Therefore, we're looking for other options.

I don't know of the exact costs, as licensing is handled by another department.

What other advice do I have?

We're just users. We don't have a business relationship with Splunk.

We're on a variation of version seven. I'm not sure of the exact one. It's not quite the latest.

I'd advise new users, if they have the budget for it, to go and take the training that they offer. Or, for casual users, you just want to spend as much time watching YouTube videos as you can. It will help lessen the learning curve.

As a solution, it's still pretty much industry standard. I would give it a nine out of ten overall, even though I have my gripes with it.

More Splunk reviews from users
...who compared it with LogRhythm NextGen SIEM
Learn what your peers think about Splunk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.