Splunk Review

Identifies data patterns and provides metrics and intelligence for business operations

What is our primary use case?

I use Splunk on-and-off — I started with in-house projects, then moved up to commercial projects.

What is most valuable?

Splunk can extract all kinds of data. There's no limitation on what kind of structured and unstructured data one needs to extract — it can access any kind of data, including machine-generated data.

The ease of deploying the agent is great in Splunk. One can easily deploy the Universal Forwarder which can extract any amount of information and put it into an indexer. The flexibility of ingesting any kind of data is good with Splunk.

In regards to action-oriented tasks, If an alert is triggered where I have to perform a certain action in the form of executing a Python script or invigorating a PowerShell script — this is easy to do with Splunk.

The Splunkbase is great. There are thousands of apps that are already available, I can install those apps with full-connectivity and use them to extract any form of data. The community in the Splunkbase is also really strong.

The ease of integration with third-party tools is great. In the Splunkbase, there are so many apps that are easy to integrate with.

The user interface is really good. There is a machine learning toolkit — I like it a lot. They have use cases in place so that people with little experience in machine learning can go through these examples of use cases and gain a better understanding.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we experience issues when formatting and configuring files; however, this is a very technical issue that's hard to explain.

When extracting the data or structuring the data in the right format, sometimes it becomes challenging. It's up to the user to understand the regex commands.

Our customers often complain that the price of Splunk is too high.

When Splunk is deployed on the cloud, there are certain considerations that cannot be met. Cloud-based configuration cannot be done by our Splunk admin team. It needs to be routed via a ticket. You don't have more control on the cloud from a configuration point of view, whereas, with on-premise, you are in control — you can define any configuration settings.

When you install on-premise, many types of configurations can be done but when Splunk is on the cloud, you're dependent on their specific configurations.

I started using Splunk in 2018.

The scalability is good. If you have the money, you can expand — it's volume-based, not instance-based.

I'd say I am happy with the technical support, not elated. They provide great support, but sometimes they don't have the answers that I need. I've only ever raised two big support issues, and both times they haven't been about to fully resolve the issue. In the end, I had to figure it out myself.

We have one or two engineers that take care of all maintenance-related issues. It really depends on the scale of your project. One of our projects required a huge deployment — we needed a huge team to match. If it's a small deployment, then two people are enough.

Its cost model is dependent upon the amount of data used — how many GBs we extract in a day determines our price. The price is not dependent upon how many instances we installed in Splunk. I can install thousands of instances, but it will only charge me according to how many GBs I extract per day.

Overall, our customers complain that the price is too high.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend using Splunk. They have free learning models available. There are models available on their learning page where you can gain a better understanding of how to use Splunk. Within one month alone, you can at least understand how to operate Splunk, whereas, with other tools, it can take a lot of time to understand.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Splunk a rating of nine. The only downside is the cost. Price is the only factor; sometimes, companies shy away from Splunk because of the price.

More Splunk reviews from users
...who compared it with LogRhythm NextGen SIEM
Learn what your peers think about Splunk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.