Splunk Review

Splunk is great for Syslog capabilites. For normal device management, you can't go wrong with SolarWinds.

I'd go with Splunk for logging. For Syslog capabilities, Splunk wins outright from my experience. It's quick, very customizable, and there are many different modules some specific for vendors and devices. (Cisco Security Suite for one).

If you are really into SolarWinds and want to use them for Syslog then I would go with Kiwi. SolarWinds NPM has a syslog collector but under heavy load (a few hundred devices) it will get bogged down real quick in my experience.

If you are looking for normal device management then NPM, NCM, NTA are the way to go. You can't go wrong with SolarWinds.

More Splunk reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM QRadar
2 Comments

author avatarit_user4401 (Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

Do you know if I can copy extractions that I create with Weblog add-on into other apps or add-ons?

author avatarit_user167895 (Project Manager and consultant enterprise IT tooling at a consultancy with 51-200 employees)

Kiwi syslog for SolarWinds must be seen as a patch for SolarWinds Orion NPM. SolarWinds will release a LOG management module for the Orion NPM platform but this product is in an early state of log collecting, searching and filtering. Splunk can be a good tactical solution to filter out and forward important events to SolarWinds Orion NPM