Splunk Review

Some of the valuable features include data representation options and the analytics and querying of the indices.

What is most valuable?

The analytics and querying the indices is super easy.

The data representation options in the dashboards are excellent.

Multiple datasource/filetypes are supported and each can be customized in a few clicks.

What needs improvement?

Security administration and user access control is pretty basic. This can be improved.

The user access control could be much more granular, so that the admins can control r/w/x access for specific features of the product like dashboards, etc.

If this is improved, with a mapping against LDAP roles, it would be excellent.

We had no stability issues.

We had no scalability issues.

Technical support and the online community are some of the best for any product.

We did not have a previous solution.

The setup was quite easy and there is lot of technical documentation for handholding you through the process.

Pricing and licensing is quite expensive. But for the value the product provides, it seems at par in the market.

We looked at IBM SmartCloud Analytics and Log Analytics.

What other advice do I have?

Please watch out for the licensing agreement. There are a lot of IP specific clauses that Splunk has included in their license agreement. Per my understanding, any plugin available in the community cannot be used OOB, due to licensing restrictions. (This might be specific to our organization.)