Splunk Review

Provides the ability to diagnose problems in production and non-production.

How has it helped my organization?

MTTR is drastically reduced, because the developers and other IT support staff have instant access to log events.

People costs are saved by not having to involve the domain developers from multiple teams, when tracing a problem that spans multiple platforms.

Security is improved by not having to give as many people access to log on to the servers.

What is most valuable?

The ability to rapidly diagnose problems in production and non-production, across hundreds of log files, is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Official training, even CBT, is expensive so not many people are able to get certified. This leads/causes the users to make use of the most basic functionality only.

It is a challenge to manage the environment in such a way, that one’s log, even with the bandwidth license, isn’t exceeded. Splunk has moved towards not applying hard caps in data ingestion, and this will help us in the future.

However, I’d like an easier way to flag certain source log files as non-critical and have Splunk automatically disable those event sources when the license capacity exceeds an arbitrary value.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I haven't had the need to log any critical issues. Most of my support tickets have been revolved around configuration questions. I'm very happy with the way Splunk's support staff respond - they're pretty helpful. I think I've only had one situation where the response was acceptable, but not stellar.

The technical support is good. I'm sometimes surprised when the support engineer doesn't immediately know the answer to my questions (as I feel they must be fairly common queries). But, this can probably be excused because of the breath of features Splunk Enterprise has.

We were not using any other solution previously.

I evaluated ELK Stack but at the time, Splunk offered more flexibility, better support and was easier for us to implement.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward, but we used an experienced implementation partner and ensured that our team was intimately involved in the installation/configuration process on a technical level.

We used a combintation of in-house (ie. myself) and an experienced Splunk partner.

The product has a lot of value, and I feel that we’re getting the value that we’re paying for.

Splunk Enterprise becomes extremely expensive after the 20GB/month license, but if you take care of what you log, i.e., by not logging excessive application events, then that license will get you a long way.

We looked at ELK Stack.

What other advice do I have?

Use an experienced Splunk architect to design your infrastructure configuration.

Ensure that your tech leads are intimately involved and understand exactly how the product fits together.

Manage your Splunk configuration in a repository (Git).

Educate the end users as quickly as possible to use the tool effectively.

Change practices and encourage staff to use Splunk instead of old ways of getting the data they need. Prevent, or limit, direct access to the servers or server log files if you can.

3 visitors found this review helpful
3 Comments
author avatarClark Ammons

author avatarAlireza Ghahrood
TOP 5LEADERBOARDReal User

exactly :I have found that the use of Splunk has saved many hours of time and, as said in the review the ROI is amazing with problem solving much faster than I've seen from other searches.

author avatarMS Alam
TOP 5LEADERBOARDReal User

i am agree with splunk user who are saying splunk faster then other product.