Splunk Review

It has reduced the time to resolution and time to investigate, but the search query is slow

What is our primary use case?

We use it for searching logs in a production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the time to resolution, time to investigate, and time to troubleshoot for debugging issues.

What is most valuable?

Being able to search across all the different production environments at the same time, then being able to do search queries to scope out specific environments, specific components, or specific logs from different languages, such as Java or C++. Thus, being able to have really fine grain control on log searching is really good.

Out-of-the-box, it seems very powerful.

What needs improvement?

The search query seems slow, but I am not sure if that is just because it is searching millions upon millions of lines of text. Also, I just started using it, so I might have no idea what I am doing. I could probably speed up the queries by improving my search skills.

My company could benefit from doing more Splunk training with Splunk consultants teaching us how to use it. It is possible that we have already done this and I haven't participate, but this type of training would be helpful.

Less than one year.

It is always up when I need to search. I am probably not using it that much. I will maybe search a couple times a day for something specific, so I am not using it too much. I know plenty of the people who are doing a lot more for debugging, and who use it a lot all day.

It seems like it scales well. We have hundreds of production and development environments, and we are searching on all of them. Therefore, it seems like the scale is good.

We have hundreds of production environments, and each production environment has ten to 20 host machines. Each production environment can manage tens of thousands of customers.

Maybe going to AWS and scaling it better would be more cost-effective for our company. However, I am not involved in those decisions.

I have not used technical support.

We have other log searching tools, but we have standardized on Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. We have a lot of different tools to do this type of debugging. Yet, it is one of the first ones that I will reach for, and I think that is a good sign.

It works well and is the industry standard for log searching. It probably has other features too. Therefore, if you use it, I would recommend the training, so you know what you are doing.

I am using the on-premise version.