Splunk Review

Centralized log monitoring is pivotal for us

What is our primary use case?

We need something to collect all our logs in a centralized solution. We have several servers but we don't have any log collection system.

How has it helped my organization?

Without Splunk or a similar product, if I want to check the log files every day, I have to log in to the individual hardware components in our system. I have to log in to the firewall, I have to log in to Windows. There are so many devices I would have to manually log into, one-by-one. It would take a very long time for me.

Also, we don't have a dashboard so we don't know which issues are critical. When we use a centralized log monitoring system we can see things on the dashboard and it is easier for the IT manager or an IT engineer to take corrective action in the system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Splunk is the log monitoring.

What needs improvement?

If possible, we would like to have not only a log monitoring system but a network monitoring feature in this solution as well.

It's very stable.

Up until we trialed Splunk we did not have any solution. We used Splunk because we don't have anything to monitor our system. I contacted our local vendor in Vietnam, and they suggest using the trial version of Splunk to see how it works in our environment. This is the main reason I trialed Splunk. We just used the trial version in our office and, since it expired, we haven't used it.

For me, the initial setup was not too complex. For an IT person like me, it was okay.

Our local vendor knows Splunk very well. He had already implemented Splunk for another customer. I called him to our office to have him install the Splunk. It took a couple of hours for him to finish.

We used a consultant for the deployment, from KDDI Vietnam. Our experience with him was good.

What other advice do I have?

Because it was a trial version, I was the only one who used it in our company.

I kept some snapshots from our trial with the Splunk system and we are preparing a proposal to submit to our manager in Vietnam. If in the near future we have enough money to purchase the system, we will invest in this system for our company.