Splunk Review

Has the ability to add the functionality you want but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for monitoring and security.

What needs improvement?

The clusters are hard. It has too many moving parts.

They should make data onboarding easier.

Scalability is nice. Its ability to scale nicely is one of Splunk's strengths. You just horizontally add another machine and you get your scalability.

Their technical support is good.

Our clients switch from Nagios or other monitoring solutions because the other solutions were not as flexible as Splunk. With Splunk, you can do some things very programmatically. If you have a developer, you can add functionality you want and you can develop your own add-on. Another reason they switched is because of the language that's included, SPL, Splunk Programming Language.

The initial setup is really straightforward. It's one of the easiest installations.

This product doesn't have any kind of dependencies, it just worked from one package. Install it and boom, you have a working solution.

The time it takes to install depends. If you are making non clustered, just the PoC can take around 15 minutes, but for clustering things, it can maybe take one hour.

You need one or two admins for maintaining the solution and one or two for data.

I am the integrator and consultant for Splunk.

Splunk is really expensive.

There are some add-ons like Splunk Enterprise Security or ITSI which makes it more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to get Splunk professional services from Splunk.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. To make it a ten they should have an open roadmap for the next version and better add-on updates.