Spring Boot Review

Makes it difficult to support a specific functionality in a user-friendly manner, but simplifies application deployment

What is our primary use case?

Our use of this solution is related to creating microservices, based on microservices architecture that we're implementing now.

How has it helped my organization?

Since microservices are totally linked to the business capabilities and, at the same time, it is a way or a style of handling the business functionality and the business processes, Spring Boot comes into the picture where you are just focusing on building microservices for one specific business function. So that has been really helpful. You can have both the UI part and the API part, so that the microservice can be utilized either with other applications or it can be used independently.

What is most valuable?

Spring Boot is much easier when it comes to the configuration, setup, installation, and deployment of your applications, compared to any kind of MVC framework. It has everything within a single framework, rather than having the hassle of installing, setting up, or even deploying a regular MVC framework.

What needs improvement?

I'm not one who is really obsessed with Spring Boot. It's a tool. But at the same time, I would rather use other things like a BPMN engine to do the work because Spring Boot is lacking visibility in terms of how that business process or business rule would look within your application. Because everything has been embedded within the code itself, it disables the visibility and the ability to maintain or even support a specific functionality in a user-friendly manner, where a developer can come up and just adjust that part of that process.

I'd rather go for a BPMN tool or engine that will reduce development time, rather than spending the whole time writing a tiny function for linking activities or tasks together.
I would rather use a BPMN engine just to focus on the business link and, at the same time, to have that type of visibility and agility, not to mention, of course, the consistency between consumer processes and the business ability.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

Spring Boot is an open-source tool, a framework.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have that user-friendliness so that it's really easy for both business and even IT to use the same engine. When it comes to modeling, it shouldn't be like a foreign language between IT and the business. It should be very easy to manipulate, very easy to create, very easy to design.

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor depend on specific business requirements. The business is always looking to speed up the production of these services. So agility is number one. The second is going to be the productivity and effectiveness. The third is related to the user experience; and finally, the customer support side.

I would give Spring Boot a five out of 10. Spring, as a framework, is really complex. It's not really easy for a beginner or even an intermediate developer.