Spring MVC Review

The product has been scaled to hundreds of simultaneous users, without issue.

What is our primary use case?

Mostly REST service and web application development on RDBMS products

What is most valuable?

I have found the new version with annotations and differentiation between SpringMVC and REST Controllers to be most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Spring MVC has reduced the time spent on building MVC code in Java projects.

What needs improvement?

The link with UI components could be improved. For example, there could be auto-transformation from Java objects to simple UI components (such as jQuery tables, drop down lists, autocomplete lists), so that the transformation from Java on the server side to UI components is built-in.

I have used this solution since 2008.

I have not encountered any issues with stability so far.

The product has been scaled to hundreds of simultaneous users, without issue.

There is wide support availability on the stack overflow and there is a lot of documentation on the web.

I have used various alternatives, such as: Tapestry, custom Java MVC, and Struts 1.2/2.0

The setup is extremely straightforward for someone with a decent IDE (Eclipse, for example, and some background configuring Spring projects). However, without experience and training on the Spring configuration, the setup could be a nightmare.

I am always the implementation vendor.

I am today able to spin up a Java web service, especially with embedded Tomcat, within hours. This compares with the week or 10 working days it used to take before Spring MVC.

This solution is free. However, do make sure to release any common components that you build back into spring.io.

I evaluated Struts 2.0. However, the Spring-Struts integration would have been troublesome. Hence we went with Spring MVC, for ease of integration.

What other advice do I have?

Finalize how you wish to configure the business tier and where you wish to place data access and transaction logic first.

Use established solution patterns.

Decide up-front where you wish to apply Filters and how you wish to handle HTTP sessions.