SQL Azure Review

You can change the plan of a service in terms of DTUs, point of restore, and auditing.

What is most valuable?

• Availability and scalability
  • Ability to understand the application and not necessarily the structure of your database
  • Natural replication of the SaaS service provides efficient availability
  • You can choose the geographical replication: Simply open a map and tag the new location of a replication
  • Scale tab: You can change the plan of the service in terms of DTUs, point of restore, and auditing

How has it helped my organization?

We have configured this solution into a worldwide application based on Microsoft SQL with SQL Azure and with SQL Azure elastic pool.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the portal should have a more detailed and granular way to query data. You can use API for this purpose.

Azure is working on the query engine in order to give you the ability to analyze a query for performance with insight to improve the load or the time of a query.

I have used SQL Azure for one year along with the other Azure services.

I had no issues during our work.

It is very flexible. In the case of a heavy load period, you don’t see any difference in terms of performance. The advantage with a SaaS service is the normal scalability.

If you don't have Premium support, you need to wait for 24 hours to receive support.

Other databases like PostgreSQL and SQL Server were evaluated. We decided to switch because our .NET application works well with Microsoft solutions.

The configuration was straightforward.

You need to be careful about the size of your database or pool in order to fit it exactly within your budget.

We did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

The best use of this product is the combination with other SaaS services. Evaluate communication on premise if you need to.