SQL Azure Review

Enables us to manage highly intensive workloads and scale in real-time and on demand

What is our primary use case?

We use the public cloud model of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

With Azure, we can achieve very high workloads (~6K queries/min) and, if necessary, scale databases in real-time with only one minute of downtime for our customers. It enables us to scale up on demand and to scale down when needed.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Azure Database is the read-scaleout one: in Premium and Business tiers, the logic single DB consists of 4 identical DBs, the main one (writable) and three read-only synchronized copies; in our application we can use the three read-only copies for almost all of the read-only query and this allows workload distribution and minimizes the concurrency in write operations.

They have good documentation. It's concentrated information.

What needs improvement?

Migrating existing application to SQL database had many problems, developing a new app for Azure Database not.

Their support is nice but frequently their responses aren't effective.

The documentation is always updated with the latest features but the documentation for the database features should be better. It doesn't specify when specific features will be released. The documentation needs improvement. They should improve the way they explain the information to the market.

It should have better support for UTF 8 (a feature already present on the on-premises version of SQL Database 2019) a for Hadoop integration.

I have been using this solution for two years in a production environment and for four years in development.

It is stable.

It is very scalable.

The initial setup was incredibly easy. Moving from a standard tier to a business tier is not so easy and the documentation isn't so clear the presence of the read scale out copies.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.