SQL Server Review

Very stable, easy to use, and easy to move data across versions, but needs better indexing, performance, scalability, and JSON support

What is our primary use case?

We are a product-based company, and we use it as part of our product. It is deployed in a public cloud and on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as part of our product, so it is helpful for us. It is easy to move data across versions, and it holds lots of our internal data for operations.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and very stable.

What needs improvement?

Its support for JSON should be improved. It does support JSON, but the support is not good enough currently.

They should also improve the way indexes work. Its performance can also be improved because sometimes it becomes very slow for certain table designs.

It cannot have more than a certain amount of data. As compared to other databases, its capability to handle large volumes of data is not very good.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It has been very stable. We had a very good experience with it.

Scaling is a challenge because you cannot scale horizontally. We've run into a couple of scenarios where we were not able to scale it easily.

Their support is quite satisfactory. They have not been perfect every time, but they have mostly been quite good. They're prompt, but they weren't able to resolve some of the issues.

It is easy to install.

Our IT team handles the installation.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

You should know its limitations. It cannot have more than a certain amount of data.

I would rate SQL Server a seven out of ten.

More SQL Server reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Database
Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.