SQL Server Review

​It has enhanced our real time decision making capabilities but SSRS could include some ad hoc reporting.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of features including the analysis, database, and reporting, services. We use it mainly for reporting and analysis purposes.

The components I use are -

• SSAS 8.5/10
  • SSIS 8/10
  • SSRS 7/10

How has it helped my organization?

It has enhanced our real time decision making capabilities. It ensures we are up to date regarding our customers buying behaviour.

What needs improvement?

• SSRS should have more capabilities in terms of more ad hoc reporting
  • SSAS multi-dimensional expression queries should be more simple

I've been using it for the last five and a half years.

With the latest version, it's very easy and intuitive.

We had a stability issue with the SSRS component when we deployed it into the production environment.

Not much of an issue to date.

9/10.

9/10.

We were using a solution from Informatica for ETL purpose, which was 8.5/10, but now we are doing it through SSIS, because it is easy to use and its cost.

The migration was, as always, a hard job, but we were able to migrate successfully.

We implemented it in-house.

We are pleased with the level of our ROI.

More SQL Server reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Oracle Database
1 Comment

author avatarGaryM
Top 5PopularReal User

Re. SSRS for adhoc reporting, I would argue SSRS was not meant for adhoc reporting - that's the purpose of PowerBI and Excel PowerPivot. The people who use SSRS should be data consumers who want specific formats whereas adhoc reporting is data explorers who will want a different tool. One size never fits all with any vendor and this is not exception.