SQL Server Review

You can share the results of an integration without having to share the file. The performance could be better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the easy installation. The user just needs to know how to read.

How has it helped my organization?

The SQL Server is helping us with the most feared corporate problem: Excel spreadsheets. The individual user can perform an integration and share the same results with others without the necessity to "share" the file. This reduces the data traffic on my company network.

What needs improvement?

Table partition and memory management. The performance could be better.

I have used it for more than 10 years.

The SQL Server has a big issue when some systems use Java as a primary software interface. This database loses the ability to manage memory, consequently locking the processes and losing performance in the execution of some robust queries.

Unfortunately, this database doesn't have a good concept of partition table. If you need to create monthly (Jan. to Dec.) partitions in one table, this action creates 12 different files for the same table. In others databases, this process is more transparent and capable to create partitions inside the same database.

The technical support team for the SQL Server is very friendly, if we compare with others commercial database products. Not only with Microsoft, but this database has more technical information published on the internet, books, and self-taught users to help.

I am still using other commercial solutions, but the price of this database is much less expensive than others. It is about four times less expensive.

The initial setup is one of the good things about MS SQL. It is very easy to do and start the development that you need to use after the installation.

In my point of view, the MS SQL is the most inexpensive database commercial solution. If do you need to build a consistent ERP for example, with a medium to hard capability, and don't have much budget to spend it, this is your solution.

Of course, I evaluated other options! I never choose the first option and I always try to look around to find competitive vendor options. I already know and have expertise with IBM/DB2 and Oracle solutions. For this new architecture, MS SQL was the best option at the moment for being a pilot project.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest that you are first familiar with the bundle functions and plan some of the functions before starting the project. Find more information about the routines and how easy or hard it might be to start the development when you are thinking about cascade and constraints.