SSIS Review
A change in the metadata source cripples the whole ETL process, requiring each module to be manually reopened. The solution can be deployed into the cloud through Data Factory

What is our primary use case?

SSIS is a very flexible solution that allows data to be generated through code or external software. As a result, we can create reproducible patterns and improve code quality.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the code generation, code quality improved and the time to develop decreased. This led to a quicker and more agile development phase.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to be deployed into the cloud through Data Factory, and run completely as a software as a service in the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Metadata management. A change in the metadata source cripples the whole ETL process, requiring each module to be manually reopened.

More than five years.
1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

First,
Great review and thanks for posting.

There are a few things you can do to lessen the crippling effect of a change to the source. Use variables to loosen the grip the source has, making it more dynamic.

I would agree that unless you have been doing this for years and are a top consultant in the field you wouldn't know this. You could also argue that it could be over verbalization and troubleshooting this can be a bear in SSIS.

Again Thanks for posting. Keep the reviews coming.
V/r,