SSIS Review

Excellent for producing simple ETL solutions but the mapping process is cumbersome

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data transformation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for our company are the flexibility and the quick turn around time in producing simple ETL solutions. Also, the use of the configuration on Azure. Our clients are basically secret sever based, so it works well there.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements to the solution, I don't think I have that expertise on it to recommend product enhancements right now. I've only used a few parts of it. Based on what I've used so far, I am happy with it.

I come from a coding background and this tool is graphically based. Sometimes I think it's cumbersome to do mapping graphically. If there was a way to provide a simple script, it would be helpful and make it easier to use.

I've been using the solution for the past six months.

The solution is currently running in production. It's stable.

We've never had to contact technical support. We generally handle any issues ourselves.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment is done by another team. I download the package and deliver it to them and they deploy it onto the cloud. In terms of maintenance, we only need one person.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the 2014 Public Cloud version of the solution, under Microsoft Azure.

In terms of recommending the solution, it obviously depends on the level users you have. If you mainly have a simple graphical based user then maybe you could go for SSIS. If you want to take control of the whole ETL process, you should look for another tool. I use Informatica PowerCenter as well. That's a bit more of a robust ETL solution.

I would rate the solution at six out of ten.