SSIS Review

Works well for small and medium-sized projects, but additional SQL connectors need to be supplied

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for extracting data from various databases and saving it in our data warehouse.

We use the on-premise deployment model.

What needs improvement?

My team is facing problems regarding the database connectors, which are not available. The MySQL connectors need to be purchased from outside vendors. They should provide connections for more SQL databases, free of charge.

The performance of this solution is not as good as other tools in the market. Compared to the same job is running in a different tool, it will take longer using SSIS.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

The number of people I have using this solution depends on the size of the project. Normally, I need three to five ETL developers. Sometimes, if the project is big enough, then I will need more.

I have not contacted Microsoft Technical Support for this solution, although we have sometimes accessed the internet to research problems that we face.

In my previous company, I was leading a team who were working with Informatica. Here, they stick to Microsoft technologies and are unwilling to change.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. In a few hours, everything was up and running.

What other advice do I have?

The decision to use this particular solution includes many factors. Some companies do not want to purchase a license for another product because this one comes included with the database.

SSIS worked well for small or medium-sized Projects. For larger projects with huge data, I believe that you should search for another solution as you will need to do manual fine tuning. Additionally, some components such as SCD will show unexpected errors with huge data.

As Microsoft is very slow in providing updates and enhancements to SSIS, I see that the future for Integration projects in Saudi Arabia goes towards other vendors products such as  Informatica powercenter, IBM DataStage, and Oracle ODI

Compared to other Integration tools, I would rate it a six out of ten.

More SSIS reviews from users
...who compared it with Informatica PowerCenter
Learn what your peers think about SSIS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.
2 Comments

author avatarGaryM
Top 5PopularReal User

Curious about some things that are said such as other tools are faster.  What testing have you done with SSIS and other tools to support this opinion?  I have used many ETL tools over the years and I've found SSIS is not faster or slower per se than any of the others, it's more about what you're doing and how you do it that makes it faster or slower. In my experience it has a lot more to do with your approach than it does the tool. I've seen many tools over the years blamed just because the developer was incompetent with the tool and it had nothing to do with the tool...or it was at least an issue with the developer not understanding the tool.  Just today I'm correcting code of a developer who updated 100% instead of thinking about what needed to be updated which was only a small portion of the data.  Tools never replace competence.

author avatarGaryM
Top 5PopularReal User

MySql connectors do not need to be purchased.  Just use ado.net connector and ODBC. That's been a part of SSIS for a decade.  I've used it for Mysql before without any issues.  This is all well documented and available from many forums.