SSIS Review

Works well for small and medium-sized projects, but additional SQL connectors need to be supplied

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for extracting data from various databases and saving it in our data warehouse.

We use the on-premise deployment model.

What needs improvement?

My team is facing problems regarding the database connectors, which are not available. The MySQL connectors need to be purchased from outside vendors. They should provide connections for more SQL databases, free of charge.

The performance of this solution is not as good as other tools in the market. Compared to the same job is running in a different tool, it will take longer using SSIS.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

The number of people I have using this solution depends on the size of the project. Normally, I need three to five ETL developers. Sometimes, if the project is big enough, then I will need more.

I have not contacted Microsoft Technical Support for this solution, although we have sometimes accessed the internet to research problems that we face.

In my previous company, I was leading a team who were working with Informatica. Here, they stick to Microsoft technologies and are unwilling to change.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. In a few hours, everything was up and running.

What other advice do I have?

The decision to use this particular solution includes many factors. Some companies do not want to purchase a license for another product because this one comes included with the database.

SSIS worked well for small or medium-sized Projects. For larger projects with huge data, I believe that you should search for another solution as you will need to do manual fine tuning. Additionally, some components such as SCD will show unexpected errors with huge data.

As Microsoft is very slow in providing updates and enhancements to SSIS, I see that the future for Integration projects in Saudi Arabia goes towards other vendors products such as  Informatica powercenter, IBM DataStage, and Oracle ODI

Compared to other Integration tools, I would rate it a six out of ten.