StarWind HyperConverged Appliance Review

Low-cost, easy to manage and monitor, yet provides the necessary fault-tolerance and continuance of business processes

What is our primary use case?

Our remote office-branch office locations are using StarWind Virtual SAN.

I use the vSAN product and it provides the shared solution I need for my VMware hypervisors to be able to use HA and other redundancy solutions. It provides the necessary fault tolerance and continuance of business processes.

The HCAs across all sites house more than 200 VMs over multiple networks. StarWind allowed us to create a HA Clustered environment without an expensive SAN while providing hyper-converged capabilities.

The units fit us well.

How has it helped my organization?

The StarWind infrastructure provided a preconfigured package of software and hardware in a single system for simplified management. With StarWind converged infrastructure, the compute, storage, and networking components were easy to modify to fit our needs at all the locations.

It was a lower-cost solution that enabled us to replace our existing end-of-life infrastructure while taking advantage of new technologies like hyper-converged infrastructure.

This product also enabled us to standardize our server hardware.

What is most valuable?

The support has been impressive.

The option to deploy a hyper-converged system without an expensive storage switch was a benefit. This reduces the complexity of the system as a whole and drives down the cost.

StarWind hardware is also easy to manage and monitor, saving time for my engineers. The most valuable thing about StarWind is the all-in-one solutions that they provide.

What needs improvement?

We did have some issues with shipping the product to one our sites. The company shipping the servers lost one of the nodes in transit. But StarWind was quick to order, configure, and ship out a new node so we could meet our install deadline.

We have been using the StarWind HyperConverged Appliance for more than a year.

It is a stable product so far.

It is easy to scale.

Their support is top-notch.

StarWind support is very proactive and easy to work with. Their support engineers know the product inside out and save us time in the long run if a system is down.

Previously, we used the traditional SAN and Host configuration. We needed to find a redundant storage solution.

Since its an all in one solution, setup was easy with their support.

We used the vendor team for the first deployment and they were helpful. We did the rest on our own.

It's an all in one package, making it very easy.

We evaluated other options including VMware vSAN and HPE.

What other advice do I have?

For improvements, there aren't many that stick out like a sore thumb. StarWind fits our remote office branch office needs across the company. The compute, storage, and networking flexibilities when buying the product helped us right-size the solution for every site.

Their support is proactive and professional.

Overall, StarWind provides a solid product and addresses our remote office branch office needs.

More StarWind HyperConverged Appliance reviews from users
...who work at a Transportation Company
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
30-day trial

Try it today

Learn what your peers think about StarWind HyperConverged Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.