StarWind Virtual SAN Review

Has excellent support in the rare case you need them

What is our primary use case?

StarWind is the highly redundant storage solution for our company-wide hardware agnostic Hyper-V environment.

How has it helped my organization?

StarWind VSAN allowed our small business to build a fault-tolerant storage architecture using SSDs and off-the-shelf chassis that is high-performing, high-functional, fault-tolerant, highly available, reliable, and easy to use. Best of all, we achieved all of this for a fraction of the cost of other solutions. For eight years now, StarWind has been extremely reliable and easy to use.

What is most valuable?

• Very simple to use
  • Hardware agnostic
  • Extremely reliable
  • Feature rich
  • Cost-effective!
  • StarWind also has excellent support in the rare case you need them.

What needs improvement?

Encryption: I would love to see "at rest" data encryption as a new feature for organizations like mine looking for ways to simplify this mandated compliance issue.

More than five years.

We have not had a single major issue in eight years of using StarWind. Every release upgrade has been seamless and required no downtime. It has saved us from multiple hardware failures with no downtime. A truly redundant, reliable solution!

Very easy to scale. I am not aware of any limitations.

In eight years we have never needed support for an issue with the software. I have called a handful of times to have them confirm my understanding and review my configuration.  They have always been very helpful and thorough. A+.

Very simple to use. Most of the UI is self-explanatory but StarWind's website has easy-to-follow documentation and recommendations, and their support staff is one of the most thorough and patient I have had the honor to work with in this industry. A+.

In-house with minimal StarWind support.

I have not seen any other storage solution that delivers the features that StarWind does for anywhere near the price. Licensing and support costs are very simple and straightforward.

Dell EMC, Nimble, 3PAR.

What other advice do I have?

Make the switch to StarWind! Your life will be much easier, and you will have extra budget to spend elsewhere!