StarWind Virtual SAN Review

High availability for a small cost

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is to obtain high availability for our file servers under the control of the Microsoft Windows 2008 operating system.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a ready-made solution for a small cost. This has helped to improve the reliability of service and operation in all departments, without having to stop in case of emergency situations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to offer high availability service without purchasing external storage systems. It is quick, easy, and simple. This is a good, economical solution compared to data storage systems. We saved a lot of money. The system will increase the level of backup, adding an additional copy of the data for the same money.

What needs improvement?

It would help us if the vendor continues to release software updates for earlier versions of the Windows operating systems. For example, Windows Server 2008 R2. We are sitting on earlier Microsoft products while there is support. This is because of the need for new hardware when switching to new software.

More than five years.

The stability is very good. We have not observed failure in seven years of use.

Scaling this solution is easy and simple.

Support has standard procedures and rules. It was provided at a good level.

We did not use a different solution previously. We switched from a system that did not offer high availability.

The initial setup was simple.

The installation was completed by our in-house team.

Our return of investment on this product is 100%.

My advice is to use all the features of the service, including software updates and technical support.

We did not evaluate other products because this option was the only one available at our cost point.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product for good money.