StarWind Virtual SAN Review

Simple to manage and has minimized our operational risk in case of disaster

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a distributed virtual SAN over two data centers. Virtual SAN uses three servers in two data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically the change is enormous and the operational risk in case of disaster has been minimized. The monitoring is simple and the user interface is intuitive. The solution is stable and the upgrade was done without downtime. Now, the data is distributed on both data centers and data loss is not an option.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a very good user interface, with simple administration/management.

We find the support for NFS and iSCSI valuable. This solution is practically independent of hardware (if all of the technical prerequisites are met). It supports asynchronous replication, cloud storage, deduplication, and compression.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved with the inclusion of new health check procedures. Operations performed in distributed file systems are complex and in case of network outage admins rarely know what is going on. Any kind of simple UI for admins is better than nothing. Something that would admins give fast, easily understandable information about status and rebuild status etc.

Less than one year.

Technically, the solution works as described/expected.

This solution is very stable. The upgrade was done online with no downtime.

This solution can be expanded to a large environment when needed.

We were really positively impressed with the support and help they offered (purchased with the product - with no additional charges).

Their pre and post-sales support were partly the reasons that we choose this solution and overall I would rate their support as excellent.

Before we implemented StarWind Virtual SAN, we used scripts and backup software. This was more of a temporary solution than a proper solution for a production environment.

The initial setup is straightforward but we tested (evaluation) in a test environment.

Direct contact with the vendor (best option).

StarWind is best price/performance for SMB.

We evaluated other solutions including SimpliVity and VMware vSAN, but StarWind Virtual SAN was on top (best choice). This was not just because it fit our budget, but for their pre and after sales support.

What other advice do I have?

We spent time evaluating this product and there is no doubt that the choice to implement this solution for production was the right one.

My advice is to call (contact) them and they will answer your questions to help you find a proper solution.