StarWind Virtual SAN Review

Consolidated storage with automatic host synchronization

What is our primary use case?

The solution provided me the ability to share storage between three physical VMware hosts in my environment. Hence, I have HA for my VMs to move across hosts once they are stored on the vSAN using VMotion. Moreover, I am able to utilize the storage I already have on servers and save the expense of purchasing a new storage appliance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to effectively and confidently manage the maintenance of hosts where I can power off a host and have its VMs migrate to another one.

Also, in having the same storage shared between hosts I can have at least one host storing all of the VMs for my cluster.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are as follows:

• Consolidated storage among all three hosts
  • Synchronization of data between hosts
  • Using VMware VMotion
  • Incorporating HA in VMware
  • Management tools available to manage box
  • Email alerts if there are any problems with managed storage
  • Excellent support

What needs improvement?

The product can include a more simple way of synchronization after a forced shutdown as the current process has a few more steps to check that hosts have synchronized and this can be automated.

The service support should have in its basic plan a chat support 24x7 in addition to email.

Support for this solution is excellent.

1 Comment
Andre C A Griffith MSc MBCS MCTS MCP ITILReal UserTOP 5

Very simple VSAN solution for small IT workshops needing a simple enterprise solution like Starwind VSAN providing shared storage without the overheads of purchasing assets and enterprise licensing costs.

07 October 19