StarWind Virtual SAN Review

Easy to install and maintain, has good dashboards and good performance

What is our primary use case?

I started using this product when I had challenges with failover as one of the requirements for my client. I had to deploy the failover environment but the challenge was mirroring of the servers.

Now that I have implemented StarWind, everything is running perfectly.

How has it helped my organization?

The product I had bought for the client mirrors from one server to another. This means that an application installed on server A can still be accessed on server B. In my case, I had an access control system installed in one server but mirrored on the other server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are easy installation, the appearance of the dashboard, the software runs as a native hypervisor component or in VM, and it does not require any deep storage and network administration or UNIX management skills.

A typical system administrator with minimal experience in Hyper-V, VMware, or Windows can do VSAN configuration and maintain VSAN operations.

What needs improvement?

This solution should be more self-sufficient, running without creating domains or failover clusters.

I have been using StarWind Virtual SAN for three months

The system is very stable.

Performance is uncompromised by the minimalistic hardware footprint, as well as the reduced deployment and management costs. StarWind VSAN brings to the table server-side flash and memory caches, log-structuring, and an absolutely minimalistic I/O path. The resulting performance is unmatched by either typical virtual appliances or physical shared storage.

I did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was easy and step-by-step, following the manuals.

Licensing is easy and the whole package is cost-effective.

I was directly recommended by the manufacturer.

What other advice do I have?

For now, StarWind has satisfied my needs, as my requirement was to create a failover environment for the servers, also allowing the system to run with less administration.

More StarWind Virtual SAN reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with VMware vSAN
Learn what your peers think about StarWind Virtual SAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.