StarWind Virtual SAN Review

A simple to use, cost-effective replacement for our physical SAN that has reliable storage replication

What is our primary use case?

StarWind Virtual SAN, along with two Fujitsu Primergy servers, forms the backbone of our hyper-converged solution. This storage, network, and compute solution is used for our Hyper-V cluster. From this cluster, we run all of our virtual servers, which in turn run our business-critical infrastructure. This includes domain controllers, file servers, database servers, application servers, and everything to support it.

How has it helped my organization?

We once operated with a physical SAN, several servers, along with the networking equipment and the required fiber-channel infrastructure.

StarWind Virtual SAN allowed us to eliminate the need for any physical SANs. We also got rid of the expensive fiber-channel equipment. Now, we just have two servers that form the StarWind nodes and that's it!

All of our storage, networking that includes 1GB and 10GB Ethernet, and compute power are all housed in the StarWind Virtual SAN solution.

It's simple and very reliable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliable storage replication, which enables me to create a robust infrastructure to run our business.

Presenting Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs) from StarWind Virtual SAN to Hyper-V simplifies my storage management and reduces costs vs having a physical SAN.

What needs improvement?

If a node goes offline unexpectedly, a re-sync between the nodes takes place in order to ensure data integrity.  This sync, though necessary, can take several hours.

We have had StarWind Virtual SAN for nearly four years.

I've now been using StarWind Virtual SAN for over 7 years.  While I have had underlying hardware go bad during this time, the Virtual SAN never failed.  I have replaced an entire hardware node with zero downtime.  It's rock solid.

Prior to adopting StarWind Virtual SAN, I had multiple Dell Equallogic SAN devices.  When it was time to replace the Equallogic with new hardware, the costs were unjustifiable after learning about and evaluating StarWind Virtual SAN.

8.0.0.12146
More StarWind Virtual SAN reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct
30-days for free

Try it today

Learn what your peers think about StarWind Virtual SAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.