StarWind Virtual Tape Library Review

Enabled us to finally get rid of our Pelican cased sneakernet hard drive transport system for good

What is our primary use case?

Our objective for using StarWind's VTL to Backblaze B2 was to get away from sneakernet backups of Veeam data for offsite storage and archiving. We have approximately 20TB of data that needs to be backed up on a GFS schedule. We're able to do this with StarWind's VTL to Backblaze B2 app very easily.

How has it helped my organization?

We were finally able to get rid of our Pelican cased sneakernet hard drive transport system for good. We simply replicate our backups from Veeam to the virtual tape library that StarWind implements, while magically transporting those to B2 for our offsite backup requirements.

What is most valuable?

The ability to continue to use Veeam was of the highest importance — but we needed something to replicate data easily to a cloud storage provider like Backblaze. StarWind's VTL to B2 fit the bill nicely on paper. In practice, it is somewhat technical to deploy and manage, but overall it gets the job done.

What needs improvement?

It's a very technical product so some more user-friendliness and UX would go a long way. It sort of has to be very technical though because it is trying to marry old school tape library technology with new school cloud storage technology and act as a bridge between backup software that uses VTL for offloading. An easier way obviously would be to do away with the need for VTL and just go straight to B2 out of Veeam — like a plugin maybe. Not sure if that's possible with how Veeam works.

Less than one year.