StarWind Virtual Tape Library Review

High-performance, cost-effective, and integrated well with our existing backup solution

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Veeam as our backup solution and wanted to save some backups to Backblaze. StarWind VTL allowed us to keep using Veeam and Backblaze for an easy and affordable solution to our backups.

The software has excellent performance, and it is straightforward to set up given the extensive tutorials hosted on their website, online help, and remote assistance from the beginning, all for free with no initial costs involved.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a very small company and cannot afford the pricey storage solutions for the amount of information we needed to backup from various sources. StarWind VTL allowed us to move backups to the cloud without having having to purchase additional hardware.

What is most valuable?

StarWind VTL allowed us to back up to virtual tape that was created within Veeam and upload the tape to the cloud.

This solution is easy to set up without having to have a lot of storage on-premises or change the backup solution that we already had in place, which saved us time and money.

What needs improvement?

The initial installation can be complex and should be simplified.

I have been using this solution for two years.

I have been using this for two years and have not had any issues. It is very stable and reliable.

I have had great experiences with customer service and technical support.

I have used different solutions in the past but when I researched StarWind, wanting to integrate with our current backup solution, it was an easy decision.

The initial setup was a little complex but the technical support walked me through every step until it was up and running.

If you currently have Veeam there is no other solution that is as easy and affordable as StarWind.

I did evaluate other cloud solutions and backup software, but to keep from having to change how we do the backup, StarWind was an easy and affordable solution for us.

What other advice do I have?

The product works great, and I am not sure what features could be added or improved.

All the features I expected work great, and support is always available to answer any questions. It is a fix it and forget it solution, and you do not have to monitor the backups all the time to ensure they run.