Statseeker Review

Simplifies monitoring and provides real-time alerts for issues we might not immediately be aware of otherwise

What is our primary use case?

We have about 800 schools and we use Statseeker to monitor the WAN router at each site. Up/down (uptime and downtime) is our biggest thing. After that, we use it for monitoring bandwidth, interface utilization and different things like that. We use it for all the statistics it can provide in real-time and for historical usage. We use those statistics to plan if there is a need for upgrades — things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved our organization by simplifying monitoring and giving real-time alerts for issues we might not immediately be aware of otherwise. If we notice five devices with latency or errors, I wouldn't know that if I didn't command line into 800 devices and check every day. I can see the status on the dashboard and it just makes it easy to know where the problems are.

If we didn't have that capability by using Statseeker, then it would be very complex to monitor. We'd need to have another tool or manually log into every device to try to check things. And this product just does it all for us. That streamlines and improves our workload so that we only need to have two people in our office for the network team.

It improves availability. If a circuit goes down texts and email alerts get sent out. So, even if it's in the evening or we're not on premises, we'll know if something's down.

We use it all the time because it really helps.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is simple. I can modify the dashboard to show whatever I want to see. I could have a top list of devices with higher latency or things like that. So simplicity is the most valuable feature. I leave it up on one monitor full time in my office.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any additional features that I'd like added to the product right now. However, one feature that was just added recently was one that we really wanted: a forecasting feature. It just looks at the trends of the past to forecast where it thinks you will be in the future. That's one that we're looking forward to. It is out there now, but we still haven't received it yet. We have to get another level of license or something for that.

Everything is very stable. The only issues we've ever had with stability is during upgrades. It seems like every upgrade we do, there's always a glitch here or there that we have to get fixed down the road.

The product scales very well. With a one gig connection we can do something like a million interfaces, so that works out well for us. With a very small server, we virtualized it and we can monitor a lot — everything we have and a lot more.

The tech support is a little lacking compared to some other products that I've worked with. If we have to we email to open a support case. Sometimes it seems like it can take a little while with a difficult case. Overall, it's not terrible, it's just not the best support we've ever had. It's not the worst either.

There was a different solution but that was before I was involved and I really wasn't in the decision-making process for choosing this solution.

I don't know the initial setup, but I do know about ongoing changes. We moved it to another physical server at one point and now it is virtualized. Those processes have been fairly easy. It is just a simple install and then we restore from a backup.

When I started, it was already deployed in our organization and we manage everything ourselves. We don't use anybody else for ongoing implementations and upgrades.

The product has helped us reduce costs overall. We pay yearly and I think Statseeker was purchased by somebody else a few years ago. Before that, we paid like $3,500 a year. After they were purchased, the licensee structure changed a little bit. Before that, we had educational pricing and after that, we had to go to a per-interface pricing structure. So, we had 20,000 interfaces that we could monitor with that license and we were in still in the $3,500 to $4,000 range. That is our yearly cost; I don't know if there was another initial cost. Now we're paying $4,500 or so because we upped our license to 25,000 interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product as a nine out of ten. I really like the product. I think it does what it does very well. We have a couple of other products that we use for monitoring different specific things, but we always rely on Statseeker. I always have it up on my monitor and it's one of my favorite tools.