Statseeker Review

Helps diagnose problems and helps with network complexity

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network monitoring, mainly for our core in-campus devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Statseeker helps us in diagnosing problems. For example, if you see a heavy amount of traffic on a link, it's really easy in Statseeker to reverse engineer where that traffic is coming from, and troubleshoot your way backwards, hop by hop, along the path.

In terms of network complexity, this solution just helps. You're dealing with real data. With other tools, everything's rolled up into averages and it can mask some issues at times. We find it really useful to be able to get down to that per-minute statistics because it gives you a more realistic view of what's going on.

I don't think it has affected our availability. It's really just getting us the monitoring details.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is how fast this solution is, as well as the granularity that you can get to, such as per-minute statistics. These are really useful for us.

This solution is fantastic in terms of granularity of network visibility. We also have SolarWinds Orion in our environment. Statseeker closed it away, in terms of performance and how granular you can get with the statistics.

What needs improvement?

The interface could improve a little bit. I find with new users, I tend to have to spend a bit of time walking them through how to use the interface. It could be a little more user-friendly. Once you get it, you get it, but it seems to take a bit of time. It's not super intuitive for new users.

In terms of additional features, in our environment, we run Cisco ONS, Optical Networking System. There are certain statistics that you can pull from those devices, and it's a less common platform, so I don't think there's a lot of support for the ONS. It would be handy for us to have ONS support within Statseeker.

It would be nice if they open it up for additional support with different vendors.

Its scalability is great. The only limitation that we've ran into is the licensing with the number of interfaces that we're licensed for. But we run it on some fairly old server hardware, and it works just fine. That's with 30,000 interfaces.

It's a fairly easy product to support. We just install it and it kind of runs. So we haven't really had to spend much time with care and feeding other than trying to upgrade it manually.

It's been very good. I've only had to engage them once or twice during the initial install, but both times it was a positive experience.

We were having trouble getting meaningful statistics out of our other monitoring solutions.

We used SolarWinds Orion and we still use it to some extent for other purposes. We switched to get that granularity that Statseeker provides. I find it really onerous to get meaningful data out of Orion. The data is there, but it takes a long time to get at, and the performance isn't quite there. Statseeker is very fast.

It's very easy. Just a simple install. You put the CD in, walk through it and it's up and running.

We did it ourselves.

I think we have seen a return on our investment in terms of productivity gained from our operational team. I don't think I have any hard numbers to share, but just observing from within the operations team, I see how much quicker they're able to access the information.

I can't remember what the initial cost was, but I think we paid $5,000 to $10,000 a year in maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I'd absolutely recommend it. It's a great product.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using Statseeker is the fact that granularity matters. If you look at a problem over 15-minute averages, or 30-minute averages, you don't get the same information. You don't reach the same conclusions that you do if you're working on one-minutes averages.

I would rate this as a nine out of ten. It's really easy to use. We don't need to spend a lot of time trying to keep it up-to-date or maintained or anything like that. It just really runs in the background and it's there when we need it.