Statseeker Review

Near-instantaneous alerts help us to quickly narrow down problems

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is network monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

We have Statseeker alerts emailed to a Google group, and one of the members of that group is a Slack integration. This means that we get instant alerts on Slack, from Statseeker, whenever an event happens.

All of our UPS units are set to send SNMP traps to Statseeker whenever their batteries are in need of replacement, or they start failing self-tests. Statseeker then generates an alert based on that trap, which proactively tells our UPS people that this battery is in trouble.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ping going out every second, which gives us almost instantaneous alerting.

The user interface allows us to sort according to the source of network packets, which helps us to quickly narrow down problems.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with better automatic discovery for ping-only devices. Every time we add an access point, which is a ping-only device, we also have to remember to add it to Statseeker. It would be very helpful if while doing a ping sweep of our network, once Statseeker discovers a new device, it performed a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address to get the hostname and then automatically add it.

The stability of this solution is awesome. Except when it comes time for upgrades, we don't touch it and it just keeps going.

We are a smaller enterprise, but we're watching approximately fifteen-thousand switchboards with no problem at all. The scalability is awesome.

Technical support for this solution is great.

We have been using Statseeker the entire time that I have been with the company.

I was not with the company for the initial setup and deployment.

We receive discounted pricing for being an educational user. Compared to other solutions such as Zabbix and AKiPS, this solution is very well priced.

We have looked at a couple of other solutions like Zabbix and AKiPS, and Statseeker has consistently underpriced everybody.

What other advice do I have?

If this solution offers a trial then I would suggest giving it a try. In my experience, there is not much better than this.

We set a two-minute bundle time so that we don't get completely inundated with alerts.

There is a bug we have encountered, where if we accidentally add a ping-only device as an SNMP device, and then that device goes down, it doesn't report back as "down".

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.