Statseeker Review

Troubleshoots network congestion well, but is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to control bandwidth congestion, and also for the recovery of unused data network ports.

How has it helped my organization?

It has somewhat helped the workload of our network admin team. The recovery reports have streamlined our process, and diagnosing certain congestions is easier.

This solution provides a deeper investigation into certain circuit congestions. It’s a much quicker way to drive into troubleshooting congestion issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the recovery of the unused data ports. We're able to recover more expensive ports on our access line devices. For example, we can run a report that dynamically pulls out all of the ports that haven't been used in ninety days. We can then recover those for new and upcoming projects. We don't have to buy additional hardware in order to expand. There are a few other companies that do this, but Statseeker and AKIPS are probably the two that do it the best.

This tool is fairly easy to use.

Network visibility is fantastic. Statseeker has worked out really well for us.

What needs improvement?

If it had more detailed NetFlow information then it would be far better. This would allow us to find the top talkers and congestion situations. It would be helpful to be able to drill down quickly and identify a top talker to pull them off and streamline a congested circuit.

A lower cost, overall, would be fantastic.

The reporting functionality can be cleaned up a little bit. Some of the reporting operations happen on the right side of the pane, where you move from right to left, which is less intuitive than it should be. A top-down approach would be much more simple. Right to left is less natural because in English we read from top-down, left to right.

This solution is stable.

The scalability is adequate.

Technical support for this solution is adequate.

We have used several different solutions.

The SolarWinds solution is probably the most encompassing and probably the closest thing that we can get to a single pane of glass. However, they do not have unused ninety-day reports or circuit utilization. Also, their NetFlow is a tad bit lacking.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's a fairly intuitive tool to set up, and adding a network device is pretty simple.

We deployed the solution ourselves.

We're able to recover ports from our system and defer costs and new hardware, which has been somewhat beneficial, but how much cost avoidance has actually helped us streamline is not something that we can capture really well.

This tool would probably be priced well if it had deeper NetFlow capabilities, but for our use case, in particular, we're only recovering ports after ninety days and looking at circuit congestion, it's pretty pricey.

AKIPS offers pretty much an exact feature set to Statseeker but is significantly less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This product provides some good functionality. However, the reporting is right to left, which is less than ideal, the cost is significantly high, and the NetFlow capabilities are lacking.

My advice is to go with AKIPS, rather than this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.