Sterling Commerce Connect:Direct Review

Secure and stable with a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for file transfers.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution effectively reduced large transfer file transit time across global regions by over 50%.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect for our company is the Checkpoint Restart. We also appreciate the capabilities of the FASP technology.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The product has been very stable.

The solution is highly scalable.

The solution is very secure.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved. It's very rarely used.

Technical support is difficult to work with.

I would like to see more adapters created that allow other protocols to send to it.

I've been using the solution for a very long time. it's been 15 years. It's been well over a decade at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. It's highly scalable. A company should have no trouble expanding it. We have many customers that use the solution. It would be hard to pinpoint the exact number.

The solution is being used extensively. It's a part of our ecosystem. We will continue to use it going forward.

We've been in touch with technical support and have found them to be difficult to work with. I wouldn't say that we are fully satisfied with their level of support.

I wasn't at the company when they originally decided to use the solution. I cannot speak to any other solution the company may have previously used. However, likely the company switched to move to this product, which likely was more secure. I'm sure the other thing that swayed their decision was the Checkpoint Restart capability for large files and the fact that originally it connected directly to mainframes.

The initial setup was not difficult. It was not complex. It was very simple and quite straightforward.

That said, the implementation depends upon how your security is. It can be very complex, depending upon what you have to do for your guidelines. However, the general base install is pretty simple.

The deployment generally takes a few hours.

I have three people that manage the solution, and there is 24/7 support. They are systems engineers. They're also there to add users to the system and to user groups.

We didn't need an integrator or consultant to help us. We managed the implementation by ourselves in-house.

I would say that the company has noticed an ROI. For example, the solution has reduced large transfer file transit times by over 50%.

This is the cheapest of the product's line of solutions.

Their licensing model is based upon the size of the hardware that it's sitting on. Therefore, the more robust hardware, the bigger your license costs will be.

Companies can try to get into negotiations with them. However, that's not simple. That's not a reflection on the product. That's a reflection of the relationship with the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. As far as I know, we're not a reseller. We were talking to them about coming to an arrangement where we could offer their product for our customers who don't have a relationship with them already. However, that's not in place just yet.

We're using the latest version of the solution. We're always constantly dealing with version control and updates.

We use multiple deployment models, including the cloud and on-premises. When we use the cloud deployment model, we tend to use more than one cloud provider.

I would recommend that other companies look at this product as opposed to the other major file transfer products - even for small files - due to the high-speed capability. By far, it could be the biggest workforce of your systems. Large or small.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Axway, HelpSystems and others in Managed File Transfer (MFT). Updated: June 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.