StorPool Review
It is a software-only solution with valuable expansion capabilities and provides SSD-class performance.

What is most valuable?

StorPool is a software-only solution with practically unlimited expansion capabilities. Its performance is very high. We were able to replace our SSD-only local storage systems without any performance penalty. Its price/performance is very high!

How has it helped my organization?

As the number of servers grew, management and lack of flexibility became a problem. Our initial experiments with private clouds were promising but we needed a shared storage system.

We now have a high-performance shared storage system which enables us to run on a private cloud. Our previous system used bare-metal hardware, which provided high performance but inflexible management. Now we have the best of both worlds, SSD-class performance with the flexibility of a private cloud system.

What needs improvement?

Although controlling the system from console has lots of capabilities, an interface to view the performance of the StorPool System and control some cases is a need.

StorPool has no native support of VMware & Hyper-V yet. StorPool does it through a standard protocol (iSCSI), like a regular SAN.

I have used it for a year and a half.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. StorPool’s team took care for everything.

We have not encountered any stability issues; everything was as expected.

Expansion is as simple as adding additional converged nodes. We know the price of a possible expansion; we can use whatever hardware is suitable for the job.

StorPool’s engineers helped us during every step: demonstration, hardware selection, switch and NIC advice, installation, configuration and even open-source cloud management software selection. They were very helpful and advised us wisely.

Technical support is excellent; always with the correct answer.

We first tested open-source solutions, Ceph and GlusterFS. GlusterFS is a good solution for file-based storage but it is slow for sync writing disk images. Ceph again is a good block storage solution but our test showed that on similar hardware, StorPool outperforms Ceph by a large margin.

Initial setup was straightforward.

StorPool’s team took care for the implementation, initial setup and fine tuning.

TCO decreased substantially.

It is worth the investment and you will decrease your infrastructure costs.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Ceph and GlusterFS.

What other advice do I have?

We are very happy with StorPool. Performance is impressive and expansion is as simple as adding an additional node. Furthermore, all this is offered with a professional support team who also advise you, from hardware selection to private cloud software solutions.