StreamSets Review

The ease of configuration for pipes is amazing, and the GUI is very nice

What is our primary use case?

It performs very well. The main use is to extract information from some of our Kafka topics and put it in our internal systems, flat files, and integration with Java.

How has it helped my organization?

It facilitates the consumption of the data in batch mode to the system where it is required. We don't do a lot of transformations or joining or forking of the information. It's more point-to-point connectivity that we implement over StreamSets.

What is most valuable?

The ease of configuration for pipes is amazing. It has a lot of connectors. Mainly, we can do everything with the data in the pipe. I really like the graphical interface too. It's pretty nice.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it integrate with other kinds of platforms, other than Java. We're going to have a lot of applications using .NET and other languages or frameworks. StreamSets is very helpful for the old Java platform but it's hard to integrate with the other platforms and frameworks.

StreamSets works great for batch processing but we are looking for something that is more real-time. We need latency in numbers below milliseconds.

It's pretty stable. StreamSets has been up and running up for months without any intervention in terms of the operations team. It's great.

I don't know if they can implement some kind of high-availability. I really don't go deep into that kind of configuration because, with only one node and running as stably as it is, we have no problem with that. But for critical operations, I'd like to know if I can facilitate some kind of high-availability, in case one of the nodes go down.

It's pretty scalable.

I don't use support. I mainly use the community or web searches; self-learning.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for something to do batch processing in Java, this is the right solution. We did the exploration when we were trying to implement a batch processing system and decided that StreamSets is the best for that. If you're looking for real-time, you may want to look at another system or the next version of this one.

Because of the kind of system that we need to implement with this kind of solution, the most important factors I look at when selecting a vendor are things like latency and real-time processing.

I would rate it at nine out of 10. What would make it a 10 would be, as I said, I'd like to have more integration with other kinds of languages or frameworks and also more real-time processing, not batch.