Sumo Logic Review

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and alerting on application logs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used it many times to find a root cause of a live issue, then fix the problem in the applications.

What is most valuable?

• The tools that they have for searching through logs.
  • Doing log comparisons.
  • Time shifting the logs.
  • The dashboards are good.

What needs improvement?

We would like the ability to drill down into a dashboard and get into deeper levels.

Some of the operations and security team members don't think Sumo Logic does as well as Splunk in their field. Sumo Logic could possibly do more work with security teams and the operations side to bring in some additional features that Splunk has which Sumo Logic doesn't.

Three to five years.

We put a good amount of strain on the product, and it has held up very well.

It scales very well. Our environment has several hundred applications running on it with about a 1000 hosts.

Support has been excellent. Sumo Logic's support staff is really good, both their account management staff and direct support.

The integration and configuration in the AWS environment was very easy. They published some sample code for integrating with Lambda and other technologies, and it is pretty easy to get there.

We also looked at Splunk. However, Sumo Logic was better liked by the developers. It had a more intuitive interface and a better set of tools for analyzing logs to do root cause analysis and caching. We chose the product based on the input from the developers who did the analysis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sumo Logic. It is easy to use. The culture at Sumo Logic seems to be developer focused. The product is good. The developers are able to use it to get their job done quickly and easily. It fits into the developer's workload. The support is excellent.

We use it in both AWS and on-premise. It tends to work the same in both cases.

We have integrated it with Beanstalk, Lambda, and EC2, and it integrates very well. Though, they have some work to do on the containment side, at least with EC2.