Sumo Logic Review

We have seen improvement in our operational processes

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is application log tracing and monitoring. It does a good job of meeting our needs, in terms of alert monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

For many of our services, we use Sumo Logic to track errors and send notifications to our Slack channel, if there are issues. Then, we have our support people monitoring this, and they can react quickly.

What is most valuable?

The key features that we have been using:

• The ability to troubleshoot production issues.
  • Set up monitoring for errors.

What needs improvement?

I would like better UI-driven functionality to create alerts and reports. Now, we have to understand the syntax, so it is a little difficult for someone to pick it up without using the manuals. If there was more of a graphical user interface, it would be beneficial.

It would be nice to have an improved ability to scroll through logs within a time frame. Right now, we can search for specific errors. However, if we want to look for "before and after" within a specific time frame, it's not easy using the tool. This would be an improvement.

We are still looking for some functionality to make the alerting and monitoring set up easier and more user-friendly.

We are sending out real-time streaming of logs from multiple applications, and we haven't had any issues with the application.

Scalability has been good for our needs.

We have applications across the company which are using Sumo Logic. We haven't run into any scaling issues in regards to size so far.

We haven't reached out to technical support yet.

The integration was set up by us. What we did was use our deployment automation tools to send logs over to Sumo Logic. Most of this was done on our side. It would have been nice to have some out-of-the-box plugins which could have been used for this purpose.

We integrate with a lot of custom applications, mostly running on a Linux environment. What we do is we send logs from the Linux file systems over to Sumo Logic.

We have seen improvement in our operational processes.

Pricing has been cheaper than some of the competing tools, like Splunk. However, if we went to ELK Stack, which is open source, it would have been less costly, but it would have required more development from our side. It is a good balance between price and functionality.

We also looked at Kibana.

We chose Sumo Logic because it had robust functionality. We also had a licensing agreement with the parent company.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool for operational logging and monitoring of applications.

We are using the hosted version.