SUSE Linux Enterprise Review

Good performance, integrates well with Active Directory, and has an inbuilt HANA firewall

What is our primary use case?

We implement SAP solutions for our customers using SUSE Linux Enterprise as the operating system. We perform migrations from on-premises to cloud, where customers ask us to migrate their applications and data. When they want to implement SAP HANA they have two choices, which are SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that there is an inbuilt HANA firewall.

Integration with Windows Active Directory is user-friendly.

Security and performance are good.

What needs improvement?

We have had trouble integrating Autodesk with the SUSE manager. It is a problem in the configuration and the documentation does not properly explain how it needs to be managed.

We have been working with SUSE Linux Enterprise for more than 10 years.

When I experience problems, the first thing that I do is try to solve the issues myself. If I fail then I will contact technical support; however, until now, I have not had a problem that necessitated contacting them.

I'm from a Red Hat background and I also have experience working on SUSE. In my previous deployment, I found that SUSE was working slightly better than Red Hat. The main reason is that when we hand over the system to the team and we do a system readiness, everything is automated. Compare this with Red Hat, where there are some manual things that we need to do using the command line and from the sysctl settings as well.

One of the things that we need to explain to customers is why we recommend using SUSE Linux Enterprise over Red Hat, which they may already have installed.

A nice feature that Red Hat Spacewalk has is that it will automatically perform a vulnerability check on the Red Hat servers, which is something that SUSE is missing.

The length of time for deployment depends on the environment. For a VM installation, it will not take more than 20 minutes. Deploying within a data center is longer, but will still not take more than one hour.

Being part of the infrastructure team in the company, we are responsible for these types of deployments, as well as cloud-based storage solutions. We have a complete team.

For SAP deployment, SUSE offers better value for the company when compared to Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

After working with both SUSE and Red Hat, I would absolutely recommend people implement SUSE Linux Enterprise. The features that it provides in terms of security, managing the storage, and encryption/decryption, all contribute to why I recommend it.

In summary, this is a good product and it has the features that everyone needs.

Microsoft Azure
More SUSE Linux Enterprise reviews from users
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)