SUSE Linux Enterprise Review

Flexible, stable, and works well with web-based applications

What is our primary use case?

We use SUSE Linux on some of the servers that are in our data center.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is that Linux is flexible to work with for most web-based applications.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better functionality for interacting with cloud-based systems.

We have been using SUSE Linux for more than 10 years in this organization.

This is a very stable product and we plan to continue using it in the future.

SUSE Linux is very scalable. Much of our organization of approximately 1,000 employees use these systems for different functions.

Once in a while, we contact technical support, although the systems are so stable that this rarely happens. We the certified people that we have, it's straightforward.

We have also used Windows Server for the same purpose. We found that on Linux, it is easier to use compared to deploying on Windows Server for some of those web-based applications. We do not need to have much interaction with it.

The initial setup is straightforward and because we are using VMware, and we already have a set of templates, the installation takes maybe 30 minutes at most.

We take care of the deployment ourselves. We have certified SUSE Linux personnel that are in charge of those systems.

Our data center team is close to 10 people and they handle maintenance. This team is not only in charge of SUSE Linux, but all of the other systems that are there. For example, you would find somebody who is both Red Hat certified and SUSE Linux certified and this person would administer those servers.

When we first implemented this product, we had licenses for support. Although because of the stability of the systems, we did not use it much so we scaled down on support.

We did not switch from another product, as such. We have been using SUSE Linux for some time. We do have a mixture of different Linux servers that we use and we continue with this product because it's stable.

What other advice do I have?

We have a variety of versions, and the one being used depends on the application, or what the developer prescribes. We have the latest version, as well as version 11 and version 12.

Overall, this is a good product and I can recommend it.

More SUSE Linux Enterprise reviews from users
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)