SUSE Linux Enterprise Review

Compared to Windows, use is more stable and scalable; easy to manage.

What is most valuable?

SuSe has an offline repository in DVD media. It's easy to use, although not as easy as Ubuntu is.

The administration tools are very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a webserver: DNS Server and LDAP server.

What needs improvement?

The updating package:

We had trouble installing packages outside of the repository.
There were often conflicts in the existing version;

A depends on B, B depends on C, and etc...so we must upgrade to C and B before installing A.

Since 2010.

So far the use is very stable and we've never experienced any constraints.

We do not pay for a subscription, so we do not get support. But out there, there are a lot of forums that can help us to solve the problem.

Previously, we used Microsoft products. The expensive license fees made us switch to open source.

Compared to Windows, use is more stable and scalable; easy to manage.

Initial setup is straightforward. They have a very good GUI/user interface.

We're not subscribed to any support. So far, without a subscription, there are no obstacles.

We've tried some Linux distro.
Limited internet connection made us look for distros which have repository on DVD.
Ubuntu may be the best choice for beginners if you have reliable internet access.

What other advice do I have?

Look for products that have broad support and community, because it is very helpful when experiencing problems.

1 Comment
Jonathan ShillingReal UserTOP 20

Although I would agree that Ubuntu is a good choice for beginners, I would not suggest using it in an enterprise environment. CentOS, fedora, or OpenSuse are better for learning enterprise level servers as I have found that most enterprise customers prefer RHEL or SLES over the debian based distros.

08 May 18