Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Review

Offers email protection, monitoring detection, network intrusion detection, and overall advanced threat protection

What is most valuable?

Overall, the product supports everything already. Feature-wise, because it has something like email protection, monitoring detection, network intrusion detection, it has advanced threat protection.

What needs improvement?

The administration interface needs a lot of improvement. It should be UI-based and simple. They need to improve it. It's not that friendly compared to what we were using at BitDefender before. It's okay but is improving, actually.

I've been using the solution for two to three months.

Stability-wise, it's okay. We're not really facing any issues at the moment. It's doing its job, it's detecting things and it's reporting it to us, so it's pretty much right on doing that. We did face some issues with applications being blocked, but that's an actual feature of the AV itself so it's not really a problem. Stability-wise, it's okay.

We haven't added any actual features but we counted on having around 2,000 licenses on it. We're licensed for 2,000 users, so it detects everything. If an agent is connected to the manager itself or the to server, it automatically detects the license so we don't really have to do anything on that end. We would know right away how much is being used and how much we need to scale. We are also using this solution for our servers, so around 150 servers and the rest of the licenses are for end-users. We have it installed on most of our workstations now.

Technical support is very responsive. You just have to open a ticket. They respond in a timely manner. Their response is good. I'm satisfied.

We previously had BitDefender and we have been using it for our advanced protection. We decided to change because we didn't have any product updates from them. We were looking for what upcoming features or additions that they could offer to us, but they didn't, so that's why we tried to search for a better solution that would actually cater to everything. We wanted just one agent that supports multiple endpoint protection like malware, SONAR or network intrusion, advanced threat protection, behavior analysis. Just one agent for everything. We didn't want multiple agents so that's what we were looking for, and we switched.

The initial implementation was a little bit complex because you have to set up a lot of databases and connectivity between the databases and it's tricky because it's Windows-based. If it could have been a Unix or a Linux based, it would have been pretty straightforward, it would have its own database and everything.

We had the help of a partner during implementation.

What other advice do I have?

Overall I can recommend the product. It's pretty much the best for protecting from intrusions or other malicious items that are coming from the endpoint and the servers. If you have the ATP software, it will actively seek out whatever is being affected inside it because it has PFM threat protection enabled for it. Each of these features is not normally found for endpoint protection.

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.