Symantec Client Management Suite Review
Putting in hot fixes often breaks the system, but it does help track incidents, assets

How has it helped my organization?

We can track the incidents, we can track the changes, we can track the assets from cradle to grave and give some kind of accounting as they get older.

What is most valuable?

• Asset Management
  • Incident Management
  • Trying to use the Patch Management function as well

Those are some of the important components.

What needs improvement?

Some parts are working okay, some of the other components aren't. Workflow isn't working properly. Different people accepting changes and being able to close it has some issues. Putting in hot fixes and installing it usually breaks the system. Those are some of the problems. Just maintaining it.

In a future release I'd like to see a cloud-based solution, something we don't have to upgrade, where upgrades happen automatically.

It's not that stable.

We haven't tried to scale it too much.

Tech support is a painful process. It takes a long time to get through and get issues resolved.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are reputation and quality of the product.

I would rate this product at around six out of 10, because some things work and some things don't work properly. It needs better consistency and quality, and the ability to make changes easily, would also help. Also, easier support.

Regarding advice to a colleague who is looking at this or a similar solution, make sure you have the requirements defined, and be critical when you select a vendor.