Symantec CloudSOC CASB Review

Good for blocking access, very scalable, and quite reliable

What is our primary use case?

The main use case of the solution is to control access to the cloud. Companies can control a user accessing Dropbox, Box.com., social media, et cetera. I would say customers mostly deal with file-sharing sites.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we can log and block the access to storage sites by users, and yet have integration with the active directory is really valuable for us as, that way, we can manage the exceptions.

The active directory integration is very valuable as we can connect to the list of users that we have and the cloud control, the blocking, the access control of the cloud, can be handled by this product.

The solution is very reliable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

The product should have release notes.

One thing I noticed was when you block people who have sessions already established, it would be ideal if they could clean cookies or clean the sessions on the desktop. If you control the web and you say, "Okay, tomorrow I'm going to block Dropbox," if people have sessions already established, there's no cleanup. There should be some sort of forced log-off, so the user will have to reconnect to the solution. If you go on Facebook or Gmail, the sessions will last forever unless there's a forced log-off.

The documentation is okay, however, it's not all-encompassing. Updating documentation is necessary. Two years ago, it was pretty good. However, since then, they've done a few changes and haven't created documentation to explain the changes too well. At the moment, what is available is simply too basic.

It's a good idea to get proper training on the solution before beginning.

It's a niche product. Not many people use it, and therefore there isn't as much of a knowledge base surrounding it.

In future releases, the solution could use more customization and more options for configuration.

There needs to be an opportunity to create customer URLs or Customer Gatelets.

I've been working with the solution over the last six months.

In terms of reliability, we've seen some glitches, however, overall it's very good. I'd describe it as stable.

The scalability is excellent. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so easily.

Being a niche product, the solution needs to work on building a community around it or to have better, more up-to-date documentation. That would help individuals answer their own questions and help users better understand the product.

One thing I noticed is that it's probably true of all the SaaS products is that the people who buy the product get the license key. It's really a pain, the buying process. You buy something from Softchoice or whatever, and then you get activation keys. By the time you get the key, it's already two months later. There should be something that they could do to connect people faster, to really see who is the real user and with the activation of the license and all that. However, we have this problem with all the products, not just Symantec CASB.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I help Symantec customers.

We deal with the latest version of the solution.

It's a good product, but overall, it's been really good. I would say it's an excellent product. You just need some more effort, putting the examples into the documentation, helping customers do stuff with the product. However, it's always difficult with software because they want you to pay additional services and all that, but they should have at least something written to get you started on that.

Maybe we're guilty as we didn't get the training, we didn't get the professional help. Therefore, we're also part of the problem. It seems like we could do more with the product if we got some help.

The product is a bit of a niche. If you buy SAP, you get a ton of books on SAP. However, if you buy this product, there's no book on the product. If you buy a Microsoft solution, there's probably a book on it. However, if you buy CloudSOC, it's a niche, which is why documentation needs to be very good as there's no other source of knowledge.

I would recommend a quick start after training on the product and the solution should include that training with the product itself. When people buy this, there should be a customer success team or something, that gives two days of training or one day to get the customer started. It's a bit difficult otherwise.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've mostly been very happy with the product.

Google
Learn what your peers think about Symantec CloudSOC CASB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.