Symantec Complete Website Security Review

We can see what's happening in machines at different locations but it's hard to understand the generic alerts

What is our primary use case?

We manage it through the cloud and it's deployed that way too.

Our primary use case is for our signature-based tool for antivirus. It adds value.

What is most valuable?

It's nice to have it in the cloud where we can pull the reporting together for it so we can see what's happening in machines at different locations. That's the most valuable feature. We have it all over so we can see if something had gone wrong with it.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with using Symantec is that it's widely known and the people who are making malware have designed to circumvent it. You have to keep that in mind. The other thing that I find is a weakness is that it doesn't give you a statement so you don't have an ability to really test something to see if something's suspicious because if it is, it might have a payload that could disable Symantec and get through it. I'm always more concerned about that. This is one of the reasons we separate it from our Comodo.

It needs to be easier to set up rules for what sites it should allow or not allow us in certain areas of our computer for programs. It would also be nice really nice to have it give you better information about what it's finding. A lot of the alerts we get are very difficult to understand what it's actually telling you. It's too generic.

I have been using Symantec for many years.

It is stable.

We don't have any problems with scalability. We have around 40 users. The IT department of three people is responsible for deployment and maintenance. They are a network admin and in security.

Their technical support is so-so.

We have used a few different solutions before, like McAfee. There are several that we're using concurrently. Even right now we have some different sections in the company that use different products. We switched because we wanted to standardize our business administration and corporate functions.

We used IT people for the deployment so we didn't have any problems with the setup. The deployment doesn't take long. You just click on a link and it's pretty much fine.

What other advice do I have?

For general business purposes this is a good product. It works on Windows platforms. If you need something on other platforms, you may need to look for something else.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.