Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

Good dashboard and reporting, but it does not detect monitor and file sharing to RDP, and the support is poor

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data loss prevention and confidential classification for internal public architecture.

We are trying to prevent the data loss of sensitive files that are confidential, and not let them out of the organization's control.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good.

What needs improvement?

We are having support issues. We had local support but since the acquisition, the support is now only five teams. It is very difficult to log in to create a support ticket because no one is available to support our queries. In India, it's especially needed.

It has some feature deficiencies, as well. For example, it won't monitor the remote desktop and the file-sharing to the RDP. It's not detecting it and RDP is not supported well. The issue is not only with RDP, but rather it's with the product used to provide the remote support. If the data is leaked through that application, then Symantec doesn't monitor that section.

There are some features that are not available, which are required by every data loss prevention solution.

In the next release, encryption should be available. For example, if an extended drive is plugged into the endpoint and someone tried to copy the data to the external drive, the Symantec DLP component doesn't encrypt the drive. If you want the encryption feature you have to purchase an additional component for it. This could be an integral part of Symantec today.

This solution is stable. We have not experienced any issues.

There is a problem with technical support. It's not available.

I submitted a case two months ago, and still, I have not received a response.

We deployed locally in our environment. All of the channels such as emails, web, and endpoints are covered.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is very poor. I am frustrated and irritated by the issue, so it is difficult to offer advice or recommend this solution.

If someone would ask me if they should implement this solution, I would have to say no, only because of the support issue. It is a very big concern.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

More Symantec Data Loss Prevention reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft Data Loss Prevention
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.