Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

Great technical support, good features, and scales well

What is our primary use case?

I am an L2 engineer. I'm doing the part of the implementation and the agent upgrades. If any requirements come in for Oracle upgrading we go forward and make it happen. Apart from that, we are doing agent installation and troubleshooting.

Moreover, we'll be in contact with the SCCM team, and give packages to them. They will push the package to all the machines for the SCCM. We can connect to the virtual team and do the other lines for server backups or upgrades.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at fingerprinting the documents. This means, basically if a user tries to modify the data or change the file extensions, the system will recognize this action. It will offer the DLP images, so it will fingerprint the data. If a user is trying to modify data, they're trying to change the extension to whatever data, it will tune in on the IP, based on the indexing.

There are a lot of features. We can modify only particular agent configurations.

A new feature I've seen is a device block, which is very interesting. Previously, we used to create a policy for blocking certain data, which was transferred from our local machine to the mobile media. Now, we found that there'll be one more option called agent configuration device control. Under the device control, there'll be a block device connections option. It will alert us that a USP has been blocked.

The solution offers very good virtual machine learning. The ML will capture information based on certain policies. We haven't used it yet. We're still learning about it.

The solution offers good data classifications. What we used to do, is we used to create one template and we used to sit with different project team members. We'd collect the information from the project managers, on the management side. We'd put the information into one Excel sheet and collect the information from that. Now, we're using that to review one data classification tool. What it will do now is, whenever you're working in the document, is it will ask you to determine the data. It will ask that if it is internal or confidential.

We can integrate with some other tools such as Splunk, which is very useful.

What needs improvement?

The problem is most companies use a single data protector. The drawback is that they will install Oracle in one server and the application also in one server and detection also, all in one server. If the server crashes, everything crashes. Things should be implemented on another server.

Previously, when we had Dropbox, if we transferred a document, we would get a popup, and if we transferred 500 documents, we would get 500 popups. We're looking to find out if there is a way around this.

If we get a fatal error issue, if the agent isn't working out, we need a hard fix file. We need to check in pre-production machines.

When we're doing data scanning, the machines can be slow.

In the object capture recognition, which we implemented recently, there are a lot of false positives that have been happening. We are expecting them to fix this issue soon.

I've been using the solution for four and a half years at this point.

Occasionally, there are stability issues. If that's the case, I can help clients troubleshoot them.

The solution is very easy to scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

Whenever any issues are reported, for example, a fatal error or multiple errors, or if any machines come up with a blue screen, et cetera, well look for patch releases. We tend to do that monthly and push them to machines.  However, sometimes the issues might be very bad. For example, sometimes the KB will be not compatible with the Symantec DLP, or some of the versions. Maybe an agent will be corrupted, or a machine will get rebooted multiple times.

Initially, we'll check the logs. We'll do the checking and the troubleshooting and the removal of agents if necessary. We initially collect requirement logs and upload them to the Symantec portal. From those details, they will create a hard fix file for us and we will implement it.

We work well together. We're quite satisfied with the level of service they provide and the assistance they give when we have issues.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Usually, if we are doing it from the scratch, every time when we are doing the implementation, there will be one document that will be created for other servers.

If new users come on, they'll reference the document. It's part of our best practices.

We recommend that someone should be available via stacking, somewhere. For example, to set up the password with the protector, or as an admin password. We used to prefer at least one person. If we get stuck, we'll have a Symantec engineer on a call to assist us.

Usually, I'll do everything from the scratch, setting up the port under whatever LAN is required and what other system requires.

For an Oracle installation, it will take three hours or four hours. And for the server that's at least one hour. A total of five hours to six hours is required in order to complete our implementation.

The maintenance is contract-based. Some of the clients will ask that only I implement the Symantec DLP. Then we'll do the implementation and we'll create some documents as per requirements. Clients will ask the contract be for one year or two years, and we'll do the analysis and the reports, which we need to send on a daily basis and weekly basis and monthly basis and quarterly basis. On yearly ones, we'll do the auditing.

We used to delete the duplicate machines, or any machines supposed to be in stock or offline. Every month we will send the policy to our customers asking if there is anything they want to add, or any rule they want to delete, or anything specifically they want to create, et cetera. For example, if there are any personal kinds of users they want to monitor. We'll whatever they recommend. This is the type of maintenance I do.

The pricing is moderate. It's not the cheapest, or the most expensive.

There are various types of licenses. For example, if you are a customer for endpoint prevention, that is a different license. And if you want to cloud prevent, that is a different license. It's flexible. If you need to purchase a full suite, you can purchase it, or if you want only endpoint or cloud or network, you can buy it as a separate command.

What other advice do I have?

We are implementors.

As of now, in my current company, I was designed to DLP around seven months back. My previous company is a service-based company. Normally we will connect with other partners.

Usually, we are service providers, so we'll take the project from Symantec and we will implement the approach for our business partners. Then we'll go directly to the onset location and we'll stay there and we'll do the implementation and we'll create a policy, as per the requirements. We'll do the handout documents to the management team, and we'll relocate them to the local engineers. These kinds of activities I've done. For around four years, I've continuously been doing this DLP and encryption.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

15.7
More Symantec Data Loss Prevention reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.