Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

The synchronize application detection policies have been very good, but we want a more proactive reporting structure

What is our primary use case?

We are only using the security part of it.

We are solution providers. We suggest this solution to our clients for data loss prevention. It also can prevent Trojan and virus attacks on data centers.

What is most valuable?

The synchronize application detection policies have been very good. We are able to use it with the cloud service connectors and manage it on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

We want a more proactive reporting structure.

Have a regular newsletter or report to the implementers, letting them what is going on in the market. It should contain case studies and use cases.

There are some features available in the competitors, like Trend Micro and McAfee, which are not available in Symantec.

The stability is at 85 to 90 percent.

We have two people looking after the maintenance and two people monitoring the endpoints.

We have between 150 to 200 users on any one client. Overall, we have approximately 2000 users.

We share feedback regularly with the Symantec technical support team. They provide us feedback and patches based on the reports (client specific) that we send them.

We did not have a solution previous to Symantec.

The initial setup is not very complex. You just have to run it from the configuration spreadsheet. If you follow the applied process, it is fine. If you deviate from the process, then the process can begin to become complex due to lack of understanding. You have to enable all the files based on size and there are some endpoint issues, as well.

It didn't take us very long deploy.

We implemented it in-house since we have people who are certified on Symantec. Before the product is implemented, we send those people over to Symantec. Then, they bring back Symantec's best practices.

We have six to seven Level 2 support people who do the implement part.

The pricing is competitive and not pricey. We also receive corporate discounts.

Initially, when checked out quite a few products, like Trend Micro, we found this product to be the most user-friendly.

Right now, their roadmap is not very visible, so we are trying out McAfee. Currently, we are simultaneously running both McAfee and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to increase our usage of this type of product since our clientele is increasing in numbers.