Symantec Endpoint Encryption Review

Great protection, perfect for large scale deployments, and low maintenance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

Symantec Endpoint is good. We have been using it for more than five years and haven't had any trouble with it. It protects us without any issues.

In India, I am based out of Bangalore and my corporate office is in Lucknow, and we never had any compromises on the security site. Our firewall is very strong and all the devices are protected by Symantec. It does a really great job.

The solution is great for large-scale deployments.

The solution is pretty low maintenance and you rarely need the assistance of technical support.

What needs improvement?

The solution does slow down the device a little bit, once it's installed.

The Windows 10 comes with Defender. It has its own security layer. It's supposed to protect desktops and laptops running Windows 10. Right now, our question is, what is the additional protection we get from using any other antivirus or other packages on these machines? Symantec isn't really making it clear how they add to or enhance the level of protection we'd get from them if we kept them with Defender already on Windows 10.

We've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is good in the sense that we've never been compromised. It just runs in the background and is scanning. However, when scans do happen, it can slow down the machine. That's typical, and it only does it a little bit.

The solution is deployed on a large scale as we operate 1,000 locations in India and it's at all of them. You can't just protect the branch office, you need to protect every device in every office.

I've never needed to contact technical support.

The corporate office is in Lucknow, and I'm the technical director of a corporate group. I operate from Bangalore. I don't actually deal with the vendors or with the technical support team. My corporate team in Lucknow may be talking to some technical person at Symantec, however, I'm not aware of that. My responsibility is to advise someone on the technology side, so I heavily depend upon the reports and all that's available in public domain.

I'm not sure what was evaluated beforehand. However, we are evaluating other options currently.

In September, our Symantec license is expiring, so we are looking at if there's anything else in Symantec's product library that we should try or if there are any better options than we should consider. Currently, I'm trying to download some reports to compare Symantec with other solutions as part of some initial research.

We've looked at a few different solutions. We hear that end devices like laptops or desktops are a bit slow when you have Norton installed. AVG looks to have fewer resources although it looks to be a little bit quicker than Norton and doesn't bring your system speed down. Windows 10 also already comes with Defender, so protection would be built right in.

What other advice do I have?

We only use the solution on our own endpoints for our own company and don't necessarily deploy it for clients.

There are a lot of companies in India who are promoting these types of products. They may have quite a good idea about the packages and so on, what you can do, what you can't do and so on. Everyone seems well educated on it. It is not a very complicated solution. It's basically solid.

You don't need that much technical support. Whether it's Symantec or TrendMicro or AVG or any other package it's all pretty self-sustaining. You'll simply notice it when you have a compromise, at which point you get alerted and then you look at what went wrong. Until you are compromised, you're happy with the product.

I approve of Symantec Endpoint. I've been happy with the solution for the last four or five years. There have been no issues and we have not been compromised until now. I'd definitely recommend Symantec.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It does tend to slow down a machine when it does the scan. However, I've noticed the same slow down on competition like Norton or AVG and it doesn't slow anything down near as much as Norton.

More Symantec Endpoint Encryption reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Encryption. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.