Symantec Endpoint Encryption Review

Stable, secure, and works as per our expectations

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are using this solution to protect their laptops, files, and email attachments. The typical requirements are to encrypt the whole hard disk, shared folders, or a network storage area. It is also used to deploy email encryption for some outgoing emails.

We have been deploying all the versions that are available for our customers, and we are updating our knowledge year after year. We are deploying this solution on the cloud and on-premises depending on a customer's requirements. We have a few customers who are using on-premise implementations. A few customers have hybrid environments, and a few have decided to go straight to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In general terms, it is working properly and according to our expectations. The comfort of feeling secure is the most valuable. Some customers had certain fears about changing the product because no one wants to lose any kind of information or to have some problems or inconsistencies while migrating from one product to another.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the single sign-on with the active directory. We had a few problems related to the synchronization between the active directory and the login features of the Symantec products because the users made many password changes during the day. The time for synchronization with the solutions can be improved.

I would like to see mobile encryption. There should be a possibility to include all the mobiles of a company in the console. Many customers are asking about encryptions for tablets or cell phones, but we don't have any product that we are comfortable with to recommend to our customers.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption for around ten years.

Customers want to go for a solution that is easier to maintain from the infrastructure point of view as well as in terms of support. We don't have a lot of tickets for technical support for our technicians. So, it is a stable product.

We don't have any kind of problem with scalability. It has been really good for us. Our customers are small and medium businesses or SMB companies, and they didn't have any kind of problem. We're talking about 200 or 250 PCs or less. I don't know about its scalability for a large number of users.

When we open a ticket from the web page, it is really hard because they never answer.

When Symantec became Broadcom, we had some problems in getting technical support, especially because no one in Latin America had the possibility to give technical support. We had to call the United States support and receive technical support in English, which is harder for our technicians. Since then, we didn't have any need to create a ticket for technical support. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We have experience with this solution. Therefore, our technicians can deploy it easily. In the beginning, when implemented it for our initial customers, it was easier. They were PGP at that time. When PGP became Symantec, it was a little hard because of the integration of the products with the Symantec suites. With Broadcom, it has been easy for us. We could work with almost any kind of change that we have received or found with the rebranding of the product.

The deployment duration depends on the number of users that our customers have, but, typically, the server and the configuration of the policies take about one week. After that, we start to deploy it to all the clients, which takes three or four days. We need to wait for the hard disk encryption to be completed, which takes around four or six hours, depending on the information that the users have on the disk. It is usually fast.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be aware of their requirements and about the complexity that they need to adopt. Sometimes people want to have all the information encrypted, but they are not clear about what encryption means. In the case of hard disk encryption, some users don't like to enter an additional password for encryption. They have to enter a password before Windows start, which many users don't like. Therefore, we have to bring some awareness to them and explain the necessity to have another point of control to open their hard disk. So, the main advice would be to be clear about what encryption means.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption a nine out of ten.

More Symantec Endpoint Encryption reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Encryption. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.