Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

I like the intrusion prevention and sonar features. The deployment mechanism needs work.

What is most valuable?

I like the intrusion prevention and Sonar features. The features have always helped strengthen our client’s proactive protection shield. The detection rate is good. False positives are less, which makes it a "perfect zero-day vulnerability encounter."

How has it helped my organization?

As a service-centric company, we have advised Symantec endpoint solution to various clients. They have been satisfied with the quality Symantec offers. It is easy on maintenance, has brilliant support. What else would a business need? It has helped to protect the endpoint infra in an efficient manner.

What needs improvement?

As an Endpoint Security Expert, I have worked on multiple anti-virus solutions of different vendors. They are turning the table in market. There are many ways in which I see Symantec overshadowing the same in near future.

The deployment mechanism needs work. There are various vendors who have been coming up with endpoint agents as small as size of a delta definition.
There are various options and tweaking which can help save the administrators a lot of effort, such as:

• Multi-domain policy options for exceptions and global blocks
  • Deploying intelligent updates remotely
  • Deleting AV cache remotely
  • More versatile dashboard with more custom add-ons to monitor infra.

I see Symantec as being late in releasing certified definitions for the same day while other vendors are lightning fast. I would like to see a GUP monitoring tool being supported.

We have been using this solution for six years.

The Symantec agent is bulky in comparison to various vendors. It creates stability issues. We need a supported utility to wipe clear Symantec for a fresh installation during troubleshooting.

Symantec Customer support is very good. Indeed, it is one of the best so far. The KB articles are good and helpful.

We have worked with Sophos, McAfee, and F-Secure. All have pros and cons. The console management and policy options are pretty sorted in Symantec, so it always has a upper hand over other products.

I find other vendors' console options pretty good. Remotely evoking agent and real time results were good. Symantec’s command status is holding it back from a swift administration.

We implemented it ourselves. I have already mentioned that we do need real time results on the console and a better deployment mechanism. We have to work with custom scripts for the removal of third-party software which makes it bit tricky.

I never dealt in purchases, so I have no input.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Symantec is a promising vendor and indeed a market leader in various technologies.